Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Monday, Day Thirty-Five

Today in 3rd grade language arts we completed our chapter quiz. The students did pretty well with this. We go over everything so that they all have the opportunity to score 100. But if they do not pay attention then it shows in their scores. Today they were only partially paying attention. Although the scores were high, there was only one 100. After this we will have a theme wrap up. This will close out their lessons on traditions.

In 4th grade math we had yet another strategy, using an array. I told the students that I can tell the way they are so into technology I see some of them working in the computer field. I have a degree in computers and we use a lot of arrays. Although the array used in the computer field are not like the ones we used today, the basic understanding of arrays will help them with that. We used blocks to form the concept. This gave them a visual to go along with the written form. After our lesson they had to go to the computer to complete an assignment about arrays. They all did well on that assignment. They are getting very good at running the computer. I am glad of that, because I don't want them behind other students in this field either.

My little guy surprised me today. I gave him a sheet that had just the numbers on it (no points). He could tell me what all the numbers were every time. I am wondering if it is because they were in order. I am going to make flash cards with the number on one side and the number with points on the other side. My two weeks have passed for this collaboration. Although he is doing better, he did not do as well as I hoped. We will continue with the lessons because I feel that he improves with each time we do it.

No comments: