Friday, October 10, 2008

Thursday, Day Twenty-eight

Today was a whirlwind. Under the advice of my ST, we are trying to get everything completed today because tomorrow it will be very difficult to get everything done. In Language Arts, students had a phonics quiz and their theme test. I went through both test with them and we had some very good scores. Not all scored a 100, I think the lowest score was an 85 on the theme test. I created the phonics quiz and the students did pretty well with it. There were sentences where they had to insert the word from their spelling list and then I gave them a bonus section. All of their words were listed and they had to circle the 3-letter cluster and underline the unexpected consonant. Most of them used this list to complete their sentences then marked out the word, so to complete the bonus they had to erase that to see the word. The theme test introduced even more words with those consonant patterns and they handled that very well. Tomorrow the students that have completed their 5x each will present their symbol telling how it represents them. That should be fun.

In math, I had one student absent. We went through the retest for chapter seven and they did well. The average of the two test will give them much better test scores. We also had our unit test. This was difficult for some because they had a lot of material to remember. I had given them a bonus section also, the calendar months, where they had to list the month name, number, and how many days it has. Only one student completed the bonus section, I told them that was their loss because it was an extra 10 points on their quiz. The one student who completed it scored 106. I will share these test with the students today just so they can see what they could have made.

My little guy's classroom teacher sent me a note today. She has begun working with him with the TOUCH math also. She had assessed him and sent me the result. Also she wanted me to put the dots in the correct spots so he could recognize them on slips of paper that she is using with him. This is great, at least I am getting help from someone other than myself and my ST. The only problem is that some of the numbers were two-digit numbers. That could work but using the TOUCH math it would look like 2-2 instead of 22. He does not recognize place value as of yet. In my assessment he scored about the same in the recognition of the numbers and one less on the alphabet. He is trying so hard. Tomorrow I may try the written assessment of the numbers, he follows examples pretty well. He will have to tell me what number he is writing and these have no dots on them. This should be a good assessment for him.

1 comment:

Dr. Gibson said...

Tanya, thank you for your blog this week. I will be just as happy if you don't want to tell me every little detail about what goes on in your class, and you will have more time for other things too. I really like hearing you pull in your reading, and I like seeing the progress you are making, and the problems you are solving!
Conduct:4
Reasoning:4
Reading:4