Friday, October 3, 2008

Thursday, Day Twenty-three

Today was quite eventful. The morning time is usually the best time for most of our students, it's after lunch and recess when it becomes difficult for them. But today we started off bad in the third grade. After about an hour of dealing with that everything kind of smoothed out. Everyone settled in to do their work. My hat is off to my ST, he handles it so well. Then it was lunch time.

A new student arrived today. It is always difficult for a new student especially if they join when school has already started. This little guy was having a hard time. I eat lunch in the lunchroom with the students. Many students have begun to sit with me. Not just my students, students I don't even know. But I don't mind, I learn a lot about these students. They tell about home and what they want and what they are planning to do. I enjoy that. The new student was continually stabbing his apple with his knife (he had joined my table also). Then he began to throw the apple pieces at the other students. I went to talk to him. I told him you can't be throwing that at the kids, someone could get hurt. He ran to another table. The lunchroom monitor went to talk with him and he ran outside. By this time someone had gotten the principal involved so he took off outside to find the child. They walked around the school for about 20 minutes. The principal has always seemed to be a very kind man to me, but today he shined. They walked and talked until the child's anger had settled. I went back to my classroom and very shortly into our math lesson, the principal brought the child into the room. Everyone at the school knows that no one can handle a child like my ST. He is truly great with these kids. He stayed with us for a short period then his mother came. One issue that the child is dealing with is bi-polar. That would be hard enough for an adult, but he is only 7. When he came into the classroom he was a different child. The principal did a wonderful thing in letting him walk out his frustrations. It makes me proud to be part of this school, even if I am just a student teacher.

My little guy returned today and was telling us all about his issues with his ears. He still complains that he cannot hear well on one side, but he was ready to work. We did not have anytime to work on his numbers or the sight words that my ST gave him. On top of the missed assignments he had, the other students had taken a T-Pro test. I have not found out exactly what that is but I will do that. He did not do very well, because they are not allowed any assistance on this type of test. I have to find out more about this.

My fourth grade math went very well. We studied a.m. and p.m. The students understood with no problems. I had taken a page from the challenge workbook that I found and gave it to them. I wasn't sure how they would react. I did not tell them that it was a challenge worksheet, just an assignment I felt confident they could complete. They did it with flying colors. Then they had to go online and complete a series of problems dealing with elapsed time, save the page, attach it to an email, and send it to me. They also did this very well. Because we are doing so much with it my ST is also giving them a technology grade. Most people would probably say that I should not have given them the worksheet. It is a challenge sheet which means it is more difficult, but I knew they could do it.

No comments: