Thursday, October 2, 2008

Wednesday, Day Twenty-two

Today seemed to be a very long day. We started our lesson on time in the fourth grade and the students did pretty well. My ST had small clock they each could use, so when I stated the time the students could set their clocks to display that time. I used the line graph that we had just completed for the temperatures in September to demonstrate the many ways that time could be expressed. The students were fascinated by the fact that there is 30 days, 720 hours, 43,200 minutes and 2,592,000 seconds in the month of September. They caught on very well as to how to determine the minutes and seconds for a time period. When it came to them doing the workbook page that was not a real problem; but the internet exercise was a different story. I think that was my fault in the way I set it up. The website gave them a score but it was based on 100 problems and I only required 10 (because of time allowed). So I need to find something better. I will find something else to throw into my review that gives me the idea that they understood time and the ways of displaying it. Tomorrow we will do a lesson over am/pm. I don't think they will have too much trouble with that.

My little guy was absent again. It seems that he has had an earache. So it is best that he stays home until this clears up. I hope that he will be feeling better and back soon. My missing fourth grader is still in limbo. This is apparently some family issues. Hopefully, they can get it all straightened out and he can return soon also.

Monday I will be taking over the third grade language arts. I am both excited and hesitant. My ST has them in a routine that I do not really want to disrupt because I can see that they are learning. By the same token I want to give them more hands on activities, such as crafts. The way these students love to print and color pictures they are just begging for crafts. I must find something to incorporate into the lessons to help them maintain that level of learning. There is a lot out there and they have wonderful teacher's manuals with their books; so I am confident that I can find something. These students are also big on technology so that is a plus.

No comments: