Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Day Five

Monday was truly an exciting day for both me and the students. We had a lesson on input/output tables where the students had to find the rule. These students have worked on patterns before and it was not hard for most of them to pick out the pattern by the numbers given. I had made flash cards for the students so we could build a table. One side had Input and a number and the other was Output and a number. The students took turns writing the numbers in the correct column when they revealed what and where it was supposed to be. This was not difficult for them. We did two tables on the board and then the students completed assignments in their workbooks.

At times the students seemed confused by the workbook exercises. I had to remind them this is what we had just done. We worked our way through a few of them and I assigned the rest for them to complete on their own. Staying on task is an issue, but once they are focused and have searched through what we did on the board I think they'll be fine.

I spoke to my ST about the TOUCH math for my one 3rd grader. He thinks it would be very beneficial to him. Most of the numbers he thinks he knows but is very hesitant to respond. More often than not he is not correct about the number but he tries very hard.

We are making some schedule changes because right now we have a class right at the going home time when there is bus calls and messages over the intercom. This is distracting to the students and frustrating for the ST. He has advised me that we will be changing some things to make his time with the students more beneficial.

No comments: