Tuesday, September 2, 2008

First Day

Today was the first day of my journey in student teaching. It was a fairly easy day. I mostly observed what the teacher does and how the students react. My Supervising Teacher (ST) assisted his students with their math and language arts assignments. The third grade was working on math. They are attempting to learn the multiplication facts of three. We discussed how you can add three to the previous answer. Then we discussed how the terms are interchangeable. The students did not understand when the ST simply stated to swap the numbers or when he wrote 3*2=2*3, so I wrote on the board 3*2=6 and directly under that 2*3=6, they saw the number interchanged and went with that and flew. We also made time for some work on their writing portfolios. The students then got to use the computer to play math games to assist in their learning of basic skills. Some of the students actually came to me for help because my ST was busy with another; that was fantastic. These students are like sponges just begging to be drenched. Some of them we must be careful not to overwhelm. But it is so great seeing the students wanting to do well and trying so hard. These students touch your heart so that you just to have to help them in any way you can. I hope to have a lesson plan completed and taught by the weekend. I love to help the students with their math so I think that is what I will focus on. I have had a wonderful day and can't wait for tomorrow.

No comments: