Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Monday, Day Twenty

Wow, this is the twentieth day of doing this. That is pretty amazing to me. Today I only had two of my four students present. Luckily one of them was the one that was absent when we did the line graph lesson. So I sat with him for a little while and discussed line graphs and then he completed his assignment. The other one that was present is my star pupil. He looked over the study guide that I made for them and decided he was ready to take the test. It worked out well because he will not be there on Tuesday when I plan to give the quiz. It does not work out well for the two that were absent, I am not sure if they can look at the study guide and score an 85% as he did. We need to get through all of this because we are coming up on a lesson in time. The students are pretty good at schedules and such, so I don't think this will be a difficult lesson for them.

My little guy that fell is apparently fine. He was not taken to the doctor at all. He was seen jumping on a trampoline that afternoon he left early. Lately, we have been working with him on sight words. As I stated before the child does not even recognize most letters or numbers. My ST has a PowerPoint that he has created were he can flash a word on the screen and let the children try to pronounce. I thought it was a nice tool. He printed out a portion of the words for my little guy to take home and practice. We will see if he really does practice them. It does not seem that he is getting much practice with the numbers. The parents did return my letter agreeing to help, but you know how that goes.

I spoke with the principal about my idea for my leadership component. I told him I could do student web pages, extracurricular activities pages, or help the teachers get their web pages up and running. I have told him that I could do this on Tuesdays. He said the person in charge of the Century 21 project (their after school program) is gone until next week to a training. So I need to make a note of what I would like to do and he will speak to her about the funding and such to see if it is possible. He thought it was a good idea. The web page for the extracurricular activities would not need to be part of the after school program and I am not sure he understood that but we will see what happens. I am excited about this.

Soon I will taking on the third grade Language Arts lessons. I have been looking over the teachers manual and watching what my ST does with each lesson. This will exciting. I enjoy reading and this will give me the opportunity to teach the students to take more aware from what they read than just the words and phonics they learn. Most of the students don't like to read and only do it because they have to. It is a requirement in my ST's class that student read three books per week for AR. One easy, one middle range, and one hard. This could be fun. I want to develop crafts for them to hold their interest. They enjoy printing pictures to color and cutout. I can build on this I think.

No comments: